NaNoWriMo goes well so far. I had a very stressful time last week, and I’m still recovering from that. So I’m behind in my word count, but the last two days I’ve managed to pull off 2,000+ words.
This NaNo seems to be oddly easier, even with the setbacks. It helps having established stories to work off of, I suppose, and the fact that I can switch between stories once my steam runs out. I’ve written 5,744 words so far, about half in Spyder, Spyder, and half in Areopagus.
I found this awesome 12 Characters meme on the NaNo forums, but they’re down at the moment, so I thought I’d post mine here. It’s crossover-tastic, as one might expect. Later in the month I’ll probably be writing crossover-fic due to NaNo desperation, but for now, this scratches the itch pretty well.
Names in blue from Areopagus; purple from Spyder; red from Strength.
1. Who would make a better college professor, 6 or 11?
Harlan. Patrick wins points for being a fricking genius, but loses points for being a kid. Harlan, on the other hand, is smart and something of a Magnificent Bastard… he’d inspire respect in his students, but also profound terror due to his iron grip over their grades.
2. Do you think 2 is hot? How hot?
Errr… Sure, if being the only woman in a group of unattractive males counts… She’s good-looking, and Kyle thinks she’s hot. I’d be attracted to her based on her personality, though.
3. 12 sends 8 on a mission. What is it, and does it succeed?
Barnabas is such a wuss he would do no such thing. I suppose he would send Alex in search of some vegetables or herbs as they chatted away while making dinner for the massive crossover cast. They would like each other, actually. Common interests.
4. What is or would be 9’s favourite book?
“What’s Happening to My Body?” The S’riellan Primer on Middle Age
5. Would it make more sense for 2 to swear fealty to 6, or the other way around?
Erica’s got age and pigheadedness to Patrick’s teen identity crises. Even with his spyder powers, he’d be no match for her.
6. For whatever reason, 5 is looking for a roommate. Should 5 share a studio apartment with 9 or with 10?
Minrei, Nick badly needs a mother figure like her.
7. 2, 7, and 12 have dinner together. Where do they go, and what do they discuss?
Crossover-tastic… Erica, Diane and Barnabas? They would go to Barnabas’ home, where he’d fix a feast based closely on his foster mother’s recipes. Erica and Diane would talk about the weird things going on in their lives, trying to explain their worlds’ magic, and Barnabas would interject occasionally about iron-spells and the strange woman who brought an army through his bedroom window.
8. 3 challenges 10 to a duel. What happens?
Kenelm wins easily, though he can barely stop laughing at Long’s jokes.
9. If 1 stole 8’s most precious possession, how would 8 get it back?
10. Suggest a title for a story in which 7 and 12 both attain what they most desire.
“Everything’s Coming Up Friendship, in which There is No Bullying or Government Conspiracies Ever”
11. What kind of plot device would you use if you wanted 4 and 1 to work together?
Erica! …it’s already happened.
12. If 7 visited you for the weekend, how would you get along?
She’d be annoyed at how much time I spend indoors. Otherwise, we’d have a lot to talk about. I’d beg her to teach me charmcraft, of course.
13. If you could command 3 to perform any one task or service for you, what would it be?
To change into his water dragon form and let me cuddle him. :3
14. Does anyone on your friends list write or draw anything regarding 11?
No… Even supposing they’d seen my drafts, I think I’m the only one with a thing for the bad guys.
15. If 2 had to choose sides between 4 and 5, which would it be?
Julian, because Erica’s known him longer. Nick would be just a whiny little kid to her.
16. What might 10 shout while charging into battle?
“HOLY CRAP I’M REALLY DOING THIS WHOOOHOOO”
17. If you chose a song to represent 8, which song would you choose?
“Fireflies,” Owl City
18. 1, 6, and 12 are having dim sum at a Chinese restaurant. There is only one scallion pancake left, and they all reach for it at the same time. Who gets to eat it?
Patrick, ’cause he’s the only one who’s not overly-polite, overly-cautious, or a wuss.
19. What might be a good pick-up line for 2 to use on 10?
“Hey cutie. Wanna wrestle?”
20. What would 5 most likely be arrested for?
Breaking the limits of magic as known by the civilized world. …This actually happens.
21. What is 6’s secret?
Patrick hates charmcraft because he was teased for having a mother who practices it. He pretends that that isn’t the reason, but it is.
22. If 11 and 9 were racing to a destination, who would get there first?
Harlan. He’s always thinking two steps ahead, and has better knowledge of everything than poor without-her-S’riellan-powers Minrei.
23. If you had to walk home through a bad neighborhood late at night, would you feel safer in the company of 7 or 8?
Alex. She’s had more experience with charmcrafting than Diane (read: more likely to be able to protect us both), and is incredibly comforting to boot.
24. 1 and 9 reluctantly team up to save the world from the threat posed by 4’s sinister secret organization. 11 volunteers to help them, but it is later discovered that he is actually a spy for 4. Meanwhile, 4 has kidnapped 12 in an attempt to force their surrender. Following the wise advice of 5, they seek out 3, who gives them what they need to complete their quest. What title would you give this fic?
Okay, so Julian‘s… secretly part of the Dark Street Brethren, and comes into contact with the Inspectors in their alternate dimension somehow. He marshals the forces of both in an effort to take over both worlds, but Kyle stumbles in and Julian pushes him into the parallel universe to get rid of him. Kyle is saved by Minrei, and the two team up to save both their worlds. Harlan comes forward to offer his assistance, claiming to be a rogue Inspector, but is soon found to be communicating their whereabouts to Julian via iron-spell. Before the connection is cut, it is revealed that Julian‘s Inspectors have taken Barnabas prisoner. Rather than give up, Kyle and Minrei travel between universes and… no. Once you get three universes in the whole thing falls apart. There’s no way Nick could ever know who Long was, much less recommend they see him.
What? “Answer the question”? Oh! Well, I would have to call it “Multiversed 2: The Legend of Every-Damn-Body Else.” ^^;;